Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Catching Up

Wow! Once again, it has been FOREVER since I last posted. The main reason for this is our computer is acting up and I can't stay online for more than a few minutes at a time. In addition, the past month has been a full one...

For starters, Caleb had an upper GI endoscopy to confirm our suspicions of H Pylori and to look for any other problems. C did so well- it was amazing. He is a tough little guy! I have never seen anyone hop right up immediately after waking up from anesthesia! That's my boy! Poor guy, though... as soon as I saw the pictures of the inside of his tummy, I felt awful we didn't uncover it sooner. His symptoms had been so vague and it took a lot for me to convince the Drs. and myself that something really wasn't right. Now that that drama is over with, C is being treated and is already showing signs of improvement :0)

On to the next thing... I finally had surgery to have my gallbladder removed- hooray! It is history!!!!! I have been waiting for quite a while to have this done, but bringing Caleb home had to come first. Once we finally had him home, I didn't want to have it done until I felt he was securely attached, as recovery from even a minor surgery would have meant I couldn't pick him up / hold him for at lest a week . I was very nervous before the surgery that this limitation would really set C back a lot in terms of his attachment because I usually pick him up and hold him a LOT in order to promote attachment. Jan. and Feb. had already proven to be difficult as it was... Turns out, though, C was VERY compassionate during the week following surgery and never acted out like I had feared. I can only guess that his own struggles with stomach problems and his endoscopy experience just prior to my own surgery helped him to really understand what was going on. He is such a sweet little boy and has such a big heart! So, in the end, the surgery just proved to me how attached he really is. Praise God!

So many other things have happened over the past month, but the most notable to me was our first visit with the behavioral / attachment therapist. She was wonderful! I really don't feel like C has any major issues attachment-wise, but there are still lots of little behaviors and things D and I felt we needed a little help understanding. We were also looking for some strategies for helping us deal with C's tantrums / disconnecting and with his extreme fears. Our visit was very successful in getting us on the right track and we can't wait to go to our next session! Next time, C will be fully evaluated for attachment and behavioral issues. This will give us a better idea of what we need to focus on with C and what things may just work themselves out developmentally. I'm so grateful to have the chance to get counsel from someone who really understands attachment. The chance to learn from her and to receive guidance from her is a blessing to us.

1 comment:

Marci said...

Well, glad all the health issues are behind you!! You have been crazy busy! Stay healthy!!