Monday, August 24, 2009

The Sweetest of Firsts

Just wanted to share two really awesome things that have happened in the past week or two...

1) When we were in the parking lot a few days ago, Caleb reached for my hand and held it tightly all on his own. He even looked up at me with a big, sweet smile. This was the first time he has ever reached for my hand. For the past year, the parking lot has been a huge cause of contention between us, and I usually end up carrying him because he refuses to walk with me or hold my hand (he prefers to run at full tilt with reckless abandon). I have lived in daily fear of my son getting hit by a car for over a year now. Even if he continues to refuse to hold my hand in the future, at least I can hold on to the memory of C CHOOSING to happily and sweetly hold my hand in the parking lot.

2) Last week, C walked right up to me and out of the blue said, 'I love you, Mama" to me and looked right into my eyes with a big adorable smile on his face... he added to the sweetness of the moment by wrapping his arms around me and giving me a long, meaningful hug. This is the first time he has ever told me he loves me on his own. Talk about melting my heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are two hearts in Maryland that just melted, too! I will wait patiently till the day he trusts me enough to spontaneously tells me "I love you, grandma" while giving me that unbelievably beautiful smile and with that adorable twinkle in his eyes.

Love you all - mom