Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thumbs Up For Preschool!

Caleb has been attending preschool 2 mornings a week since the beginning of September.  I have held off posting on his progress until I felt he was really settled.  Oftentimes, Caleb starts out really well in a new situation, but slides into bad behavior slowly after a few weeks.  Situations like church and school are very stressful for him because there are so many other kids around and overstimulation is a big threat.  Perhaps these situations remind him of living in the orphanage... always around so many other people... having to fend for himself.  There is also the fear of abandonment (very real in his mind).  In the past year or two, he has often told me he is afraid I will never come back to get him.  He even has nightmares about it.  Breaks my heart.  Of course, I always reassure him that I will ALWAYS come back.  That I will ALWAYS be his Mama and he will ALWAYS be my baby.  I explain to him that that is how God designed it.  Once you have a forever Mama, it really is FOREVER.  We talk about this every day.  We spent all summer working on his understanding of our relationship and how solid it is.  We prayed that C would grow to completely rest in our love for him every day.

And then September came.

I must admit, I was extremely nervous about preschool.  I had no idea how C would take it.  I was worried he would relapse into the angry and frightened little boy he once was.  That he would feel somehow threatened by the experience.  Now that we are 2 solid months in, I can safely say none of my fears have turned into reality, despite the fact that we have also thrown the stress of hockey into the mix.  Caleb has done amazingly well and he absolutely loves school!  He even got a perfect midterm report from his teacher 2 weeks ago.  We are SOOOOOOO very proud :0)

I never cease to be amazed with my baby and how faithful God has been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


It was "dress silly day", so that's why all of the kids in the video look the way they do :0)

No comments: