Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Praise God For Grass Stains

I just came upstairs from doing the boys' laundry and I feel like I was stuck down there FOREVER!!!! It usually doesn't take me very long to do their laundry because their clothes are almost all dark colors and they are both fairly neat eaters. But today was different...
I spent a lot of time pre-treating their clothes today. By the time I got to the fifth or sixth pair of pants, I noticed a theme: grass stains. Then I sifted through the piles and discovered plenty more where that came from! My first reaction was frustration. I started to wonder when I would actually get to go to bed. I'm ashamed to say my mind swirled with negative thoughts about laundry and lack of sleep. Then all of a sudden, my thoughts shifted, and I remembered sitting with a mom of a little boy who was in my son's class last year. We were on a field trip and we were sitting on a bench, watching our boys wrestle one another in the grass. She had the sweetest smile on her face as she watched them. Then she turned to me and said, "I just love when he (motioning to her son) comes home with grass stains. I'm sure he'll have some today". Before I could ask her if she was feeling O.K., she explained, "He was pretty sick the first few years of his life, so I never had to clean grass stains off of his pants back then".
I had forgotten all about that comment until tonight. The memory of it sure did turn my thoughts around... Wow! How awesome! She was and is so right. Those grass stains mean my boys are healthy and strong! Thank you, Lord! On top of that, C has probably never had grass stains on his pants before. It may seem silly, but I teared up just thinking about it.

Lord, thank you for my beautiful children- all of them.
Thank you for their health.
Thank you for filling their hearts with the joys of childhood.
Thank you for giving C to our family.
Thank you for giving him the chance to be a normal little boy.
Thank you for the reminder- I needed it.
Thank you for blessing me with the awesome job of being C's Mommy.
Amen

3 comments:

Shari said...

Wow - what a unique and awesome perspective. You brought tears to my eyes too. (of course... I think you're nuts... grass stains are AWFUL ;) but the thought is worth considering LOL)

Anonymous said...

I too love grass stains, Lyn, and feel incredibly blessed for them! It's the simple things in life!!
Marci

The Eisenga's said...

Thank you Lord, that Lyn posted on our blog tonight. How I enjoyed reading many of her recent stories as I prepare to leave the US tomorrow and see my baby for the first time!

Lyn, thank you for your comment on our blog. I have not been on your blog before. But I'm back to September now, and I plan to read further back when we return home. Where do you guys live? We're in the Midwest too.

My two boys have so many grass stains, and moreso... holes in the knees. I now have a minority of jeans without patches. =)

Kara