Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Last of a Dying Breed

Well, I think Caleb is just about to drop Russian for good, which makes me sad. I try as much as I can to speak Russian to him, but when only one person in your world is speaking Russian to you (and that is only some of the time) and everyone else is speaking English, I guess you choose to speak English. There are a few Russian words that have been really consistent, though, and "mallot" (hammer) has been one of them. The other day, I heard Caleb say the word hammer while he was working with his Daddy. When I asked him to say it in Russian, he said, "NO, HAMMER!!!!"
Sigh... :0(


2 comments:

Marci said...

Aww~that is a little sad. Maybe he'll pick up Russian again later?

Robin said...

Now you can't go faulting him for wanting to belong. This is the first time he has ever BELONGED anywhere. None of the other kids speak Russian, so he just wants to belong! Don't worry, he may like to pick it up later, but I say, let him belong!!