Thursday, September 13, 2007

How are we going to pay for this?

We have often wondered, and still wonder, "how are we going to pay for all this?" Make no bones about it, international adoption is VERY expensive. Especially adoption from Russia (I have often tried to talk God into letting us switch to another country, but He won't budge!). We don't earn a huge income and we have 3 kids (another expensive undertaking), yet we know that God has a plan. Our job is simply to stay on our knees in prayer and keep our ears and hearts open to the Holy Spirit's direction...and TRUST Him! This sounds pretty simple, but we are still learning to do this. Please understand, we are BAD at this. There have been many times when I have questioned God and when I have wanted to turn my back on this call to adopt. One thing I do know is God has been faithful! I just want to share one thing He has led us to so far...


Let me introduce you to our "flip house"

We purchased this house back in March to rehab it. We had prayed for months regarding the financing of our adoption and for months, we felt we had no concrete answer. The only thing I kept getting back after prayer was a feeling that We are supposed to pay for the adoption ourselves (I had always assumed some of the expenses would be paid through adoption grants and loans). I have to admit, I laughed at the idea that we could pay for all of the expenses on our own (I'm sorry, God!). It seemed rediculous!


One day (after I had laughed at this idea for quite some time), my husband came to me and told me he felt strongly we were to buy a house to rehab. I laughed (and cried) at this even harder! I saw lots of issues with this: 1) Where would we get the money? I have serious money control issues and am NOT a risk-taker, 2) Where would we find the time? (My husband was still in grad. school and working full time. I work part-time and we have three children under 6 years of age and summer was approaching- my husband is the one who watches the kids while I work, so what would he do with the kids?), 3) What if we get a referral during the rehab and need to travel to Russia (O.K., that didn't happen!) and 4) My husband had re-done our old house (and did a fabulous job), but that was over a 5 year period...was he really ready for such a challenge?


We prayed over the decision for a week or so and God really gave me peace about it. He put me in my place and impressed upon me that I must allow my husband to be the spiritual leader and provider (I struggle with this too- I am a control freak). I submitted... God provided the way... We bought the house.

It has been several months since then. The house required a complete gut. My husband has had to go to the emergency room twice (God took care of him, though!). The kids have been there so much they cringe when the hear the words "flip house". It has been a LOT of blood, sweat and tears... But through it all, we knew what the purpose was and is. And truthfully, it has brought us closer together. We have bonded over this house. This Sunday is the open house. We have already had a few offers. We should make about one quarter or more of the total cost of the adoption (we have already paid/saved one fifth or so). I honestly don't know how we will pay for the rest of the costs, but I just have to force myself to remember that God WILL provide! It will be sort of weird to not go there to work next week! O.K., God, time to send someone to buy the house!

"So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." Matthew 6:31-34


Here it is...ready for someone to buy it!


No comments: