Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Teething Time

Most of the time I love teeth. But today I am NOT a fan... I don't have a single baby in my house (O.K., one might kinda qualify, but the others aren't even close), and yet I find myself with three teething children. Three! At the same time! Not good. One is cutting 2 two-year molars and 2 are cutting 4 six-year molars. Teething in my house means terrible behavior during the day, little sleep at night (which would explain the daytime behavior), thrashing while said child IS actually asleep, diaper rash for those in diapers, lack of appetite, gastrointestinal problems, etc. Teething is nasty for my poor children :0(

This has been our life for the past week now.

C cut his bottom 2-year molars in Russia- the first tip of the first one cut the day after we picked him up from the orphanage. He had a huge hematoma on his gum. Poor guy! Both finally finished cutting the day after we arrived home (they came in quickly, so that is the silver lining in this story). I have been holding my breath waiting for the other 2 molars to show themselves ever since we came home. I'm so glad C got a break during the first few weeks home, so he could adjust to being home!

I find it fascinating that so many of my girlfriends don't even seem to know when their kids are cutting teeth. How could that be???? That is not the case in my house. No, it is VERY evident and could not possibly escape anyone who comes into contact with my kids during teething time. Hmmm... C fits right in! (Sidenote: It's amazing how C fits in so many detailed ways- details that no human being would or could ever know. God is amazing, isn't He?)

Anyway, we had a bad teething night last night. And, of course, my husband was not home (funny how it almost always seems to happen that way). I even gave C some Motrin before bed b/c he was really struggling yesterday. Even so, he cried a bit at 11:00 P.M. Then a different child (not related to teething) had a bad dream at midnight. Then C was wide awake and really crying hard at 2:30 A.M. Amazingly, this did not awaken any of the other kids. I had him settled down (Tylenol and ice water) around 3:30. Asleep at 3:45. I was just falling asleep at 4:00 when Ash climbed into my bed and announced that she could not sleep. Her gums were aching. More Motrin (and an empty bottle- better get some more before tonight rolls around!!). C woke up crying again at 4:15. Came into bed with Ash and me. C clearly thought there was a party b/c Ash would not be quiet- can't blame him. C asleep at 5:30. Put C in his bed because Ash was still talking. Ash asleep at 6:15. Daddy home at 6:30. Daddy let Mommy sleep until 9:00 A.M. God bless Daddy! Daddy asleep 9:05 and Mommy starts her day getting the house and children clean for the social worker's first post placement visit today.

That's right, the social worker is coming today. Funny, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. And you know I am one of the "don't notice teething" families, right? So sorry! We had bad dreams last night--E2 had a "robber" in her closet, and A had Pokemon card games in his head. Yes, the neighbor boys are so nicely sharing their cards with him. Joy!! Call me in a few days to give me the details on the social worker visit. Is it the same one as before, the one with no kids??