Saturday, August 02, 2008

A Growing Bond

It has now been 2 months since we picked C up from the orphanage and became a forever family. It's strange... that all seems like so long ago. C is such a different child now. That fact makes it seem like much longer than just a few weeks. The contrast is striking, really. So many times lately, I forget for hours, sometimes even for a full day, that he hasn't been mine forever. It's wild, because sometimes, all of a sudden, I will remember. It's a strange feeling... so hard to explain. It's just that he is so much a part of me and so much a part of our family, I simply can't really remember him NOT being here and being our son. I have always loved him, but now that we are really getting to know one another, I am falling more deeply in love with him with each passing day. C has really been letting his guard down over the past week or so, and our mother-son bond has really grown by leaps and bounds. I have been so stressed over whether or not we have been doing enough and/or the right things to foster bonding and attachment, so this has really helped me to relax a little (although I know full well I must remain vigilant) and to really enjoy just being with him. Bedtime, particularly, has improved dramatically and we now see that holding time really works. C no longer screams and fights us at bedtime!!!!!!!!!!!! He even has asked me to rock him for the past few nights. My heart nearly burst tonight as I rocked him and he snuggled against me and looked up at me with his beautiful eyes, so heavy with sleep. He is letting me into his precious little heart and it is the most wonderful feeling!
Praise God!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO! so glad to hear that news of cuddling with C (and sleepy eyes too!). We are happy all is going well. Missed you all at OC beach ~ but LOVE YOU EVEN MORE!!!!

K, R, C, & T