Sunday, February 17, 2008

My prayers have been answered

I received this in an E-mail today (thanks Shelly!), and it struck a chord with me.


I asked for strength, and God gave me difficulties to make me strong.
I asked for wisdom, and God gave me problems to solve.
I asked for prosperity, and God gave me brawn and brain to work.
I asked for courage, and God gave me dangers to overcome.
I asked for patience, and God gave me situations in which I was forced to wait.
I asked for love, and God gave me troubled people to help.
I asked for favor, and God gave me opportunity.
I have received nothing I wanted.
I have received everything I needed.
My prayers have been answered.
Author Unknown

As soon as I read this, I thought back to 2 1/2 years ago... I had spent quite some time asking God to use me for something, to take me out of my comfort zone. His answer to my request:
YOUR SON IS OUT THERE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD AND YOU NEED TO GO GET HIM

I have to be honest, I balked at this. It all sounded too hard, too scary, too everything!

This adoption process has taken me soooooo very far out of my comfort zone. I have asked God for all of the things listed above so many times over (every day the requests change). In addition, God has given me all of the things/situations listed above. Just as our own children learn by doing, God knows we are the same.

People say I am such a blessing to my son, that I am so wonderful for adopting.

I say they have it backward.

My son has already blessed me more than I could ever imagine, and he is not even home yet.

And so the only wording I would change above would be this:

I had no idea what I was asking for.
I have received a most amazing blessing, and he is so much more than I would have ever imagined!

My prayers HAVE been answered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

parkadoption said...

Thanks for the encouragement. It sums up so much of what He has been teaching me for the past 2 years. You can tell yourself everyday, but it helps to hear it from someone else. Thanks.

JP